HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:42 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
There are, per exemple, kilometers of pre-war neighborhoods around the old city.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:09 AM

Here are some images of Toronto I captured using Google streetview. I like using it as a kind of virtual camera.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 3:02 AM

Love this one, like a painting! Or from a photo shoot when a young Queen Elizabeth visited incognito.

And next time those classy ladies on the porch need food delivery can you give them my number?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:50 AM

Awesome pics of Victoria on the last page, Zoomer!

If your interest is in older, nicer urban settings with unique local flare and direct access to the great outdoors, I think a fantastic four city tour of Canada from west to east would be Victoria, Saskatoon, Quebec City and Halifax. In fact I would probably recommend this over a Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal tour.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:02 AM
Ham-burgher

The eastern piers and industrial land of the Port of Hamilton, adjacent to the QEW and Beach Strip neighbourhood, with the Skyway Bridge and Burlington in the background.

Source

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:26 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Realtor drone shots are getting nicer

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
If your interest is in older, nicer urban settings with unique local flare and direct access to the great outdoors, I think a fantastic four city tour of Canada from west to east would be Victoria, Saskatoon, Quebec City and Halifax. In fact I would probably recommend this over a Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal tour.
That sounds like more of a trip someone would take if they've already seen the first four cities and their surroundings. I also don't think Saskatoon is a good substitute for Calgary when it comes to access to the great outdoors.

Besides, that trip would be very expensive and time-consuming and you'd end up having to transfer flights through the hub airports of the first four cities anyway.

Old Posted Today, 12:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Realtor drone shots are getting nicer
These real estate drone shots have to be one of the biggest improvements to the availability of city photos in a long time. You used to have to scour the internet for the odd decent new aerial photo and now there are new ones every few days.

On the other hand I find that while Instagram and other social media have a lot of nice photos there isn't as much variety in style or subject. It's the same filtered shots of the same downtown landmarks over and over.

Old Posted Today, 12:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Besides, that trip would be very expensive and time-consuming and you'd end up having to transfer flights through the hub airports of the first four cities anyway.
That's a good point. Then again, while Montreal is much larger and has more to see, it is qualitatively different from Quebec City or Halifax. Quebec City is very charming and appealing to tourists and Halifax is simply in a different region.

Quebec City and Halifax may be the worst city pair in the country for size, distance, and travel options. Both over 500k and regional level cities, about 650 km apart, no direct flights, 10 hr highway drive, or 20+ hour train ride. There's the protrusion of Maine in the middle plus the language difference. It would be dead last on the metric "max km/h travel between two IKEA locations in Canada".

Old Posted Today, 2:53 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax

Source

Old Posted Today, 3:04 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ That looks really beautiful. Well, other than the surface parking around the port area. I hope someday that Loblaws gets converted into an urban format. Maybe it could be on the ground floor of a new highrise. It's weird because this is a denser area on the edge of downtown yet Quinpool has a much more urban layout with the parking hidden behind it.

Old Posted Today, 3:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's weird because this is a denser area on the edge of downtown yet Quinpool has a much more urban layout with the parking hidden behind it.
To me it shows how the 90's were a low point for the city. The Quinpool Rd grocery store is built up to the street and is part of a multi-use complex from the 70's, but in the 90's Loblaws was allowed to build a cookie cutter big box store with parking in the urban core. The Queen St Sobeys and Cogswell Staples are two other mistakes like that.

It was years ago but I seem to recall reading a comment somewhere that the seaport area is hard to develop due to complicated land ownership (4 or 5 owners of different slices of that surface parking?).

I'm not sure why there are so many aerial photos with the train there when there are only a few trains a week. Do they time it? Do the trains sit there for a day when not running?

Old Posted Today, 3:51 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I'm not sure why there are so many aerial photos with the train there when there are only a few trains a week. Do they time it? Do the trains sit there for a day when not running?
I didn't even notice that but yeah that is kind of strange. I don't think I seen it in the last dozen or so times I've been by there and I usually go by at least once or twice a month in the summer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada