HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:24 PM

Will be exciting to see something pop out of the ground here. Does anybody have any recent photos or is there nothing new?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
Will be exciting to see something pop out of the ground here. Does anybody have any recent photos or is there nothing new?
I drove by about a week ago and not much has changed. Im sure by the end of summer we'll start to see some tangible vertical movement.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 5:49 AM

Just drove by on the way back from Folkfest, exterior or shaft walls are starting to go up

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:13 PM

RThanks for sharing unbending. Looks like lots is happening here!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:40 PM

No problem! Like WinCitySparky said, some shafts are above grade on the western part of the site. Otherwise, nothing of visual interest yet. Hopefully it we will see some quicker progress later this year once most of the below ground work is finished.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 1:04 PM

there's 3 walls standing now! slow moving thats for sure

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
there's 3 walls standing now! slow moving thats for sure
We seriously crunched for work crews? One universal trend this summer seems to be that buildings and prep work are moving at glacial paces. You'd think they'd go gangbusters for the nice period. Is it just lack of manpower?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 2:55 PM

Northlands has all the crews tied up on their two projects. (sarcasm)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 4:54 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
We seriously crunched for work crews? One universal trend this summer seems to be that buildings and prep work are moving at glacial paces. You'd think they'd go gangbusters for the nice period. Is it just lack of manpower?
Bockstael is flying on their 21 storey apartment tower. The 11 storey tower on Bannatyne by Concord went up fast as well.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 4:59 PM

The project on Corydon/Tuxedo is also moving very quickly.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
The project on Corydon/Tuxedo is also moving very quickly.
Snapped this last weekend.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:31 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Bockstael is flying on their 21 storey apartment tower. The 11 storey tower on Bannatyne by Concord went up fast as well.
I think buildings go up just as fast as a developer/owner is willing to pay for.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 12:06 AM

It looks like Market Lands is being constructed at grade with no underground parking. Is that an accurate statement?

Are the proposals for the balance of the site allowed to construct at grade as well? I remember a condition was construction of roadwork between the phases placed on the proponents which cause a financial headache. Perhaps U of W may find a way to move forward on these other phases as well.

The Bend on Waterfront was constructed with only 24 +/- stalls at grade. They are having a huge problem with vandalism of tennant cars and turns out to be very under parked. They are applying to fence the whole West parking area to mitigate damage. On site managment has told me someone took a grinder to the at grade bike locker and made off with 10 bikes.This is also one of the reasons Duncan Street is on holding as they appear to require the parking and are unsure of making an addition investment in another project. The homeless encampments really are having an adverse effect on development in the area and occupancy. Really don’t know what a humane solution to the problem is.

I certainly hope after 5 years of delay on the Duncan site the development agreement by CV has teeth and it does not become The Bend’s overflow parking…

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
It looks like Market Lands is being constructed at grade with no underground parking. Is that an accurate statement?

Are the proposals for the balance of the site allowed to construct at grade as well? I remember a condition was construction of roadwork between the phases placed on the proponents which cause a financial headache. Perhaps U of W may find a way to move forward on these other phases as well.

The Bend on Waterfront was constructed with only 24 +/- stalls at grade. They are having a huge problem with vandalism of tennant cars and turns out to be very under parked. They are applying to fence the whole West parking area to mitigate damage. On site managment has told me someone took a grinder to the at grade bike locker and made off with 10 bikes.This is also one of the reasons Duncan Street is on holding as they appear to require the parking and are unsure of making an addition investment in another project. The homeless encampments really are having an adverse effect on development in the area and occupancy. Really don’t know what a humane solution to the problem is.

I certainly hope after 5 years of delay on the Duncan site the development agreement by CV has teeth and it does not become The Bend’s overflow parking…
The humane solution is to arrest these people and give them the choice of rehab or jail. Also the institutionalization of those who can't care for themselves. There will never be an improvement otherwise. The Portugal method might be worth looking at. All that said, we dont have money for a mandatory sewer upgrade, nevermind thousands of transitional units and hundreds of beds in asylums.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:15 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
There’s definitely a manpower shortage but it’s also always deceptive how much of a building is under ground. The 14 storey tower that stopped construction with only structural walls to the second floor was considered 35% complete.

Once they start framing, it should go faster.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:22 AM
surely you agree with me

First phase of Marketlands doesn’t have parking. Proponents for the north parcels had no parking requirements, but surface likely would not have been accepted. The proposals I saw all had internal parkades.

I noticed the bike room at the bend. It’s crazy because the room faces a courtyard and a whole bunch of suites looking at it. It’s definitely a bad idea to have outward facing bike rooms.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
First phase of Marketlands doesn’t have parking. Proponents for the north parcels had no parking requirements, but surface likely would not have been accepted. The proposals I saw all had internal parkades.

I noticed the bike room at the bend. It’s crazy because the room faces a courtyard and a whole bunch of suites looking at it. It’s definitely a bad idea to have outward facing bike rooms.

The fact it's chain link is such value-engineering bullshit. It should be plexiglass or cinderblock and secured, nothing with holes in it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

someones guna have to be AN ASSHOLE and do something... guna cost money but governments hell bend on being cheap.... need to creat institutions of some sort to deal with this

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:34 PM

I, personally, am all for protecting personal property. Homelessness and addiction is never an excuse for crime and vandalism. I've been a victim of property crime and I know how rotten it feels when someone has decided their desires somehow trumps my right to own a couple of nice things. However, a "lock 'em all up" approach, legally and practically, really doesn't work, except in the short term removal of "undesirables" and their camps.

I wish I could offer a solution to the "causes" of homelessness, but from what I understand, there is no one cause one can point to. Some homeless people suffer from addictions, some are basically victims of their parent's addictions (FAS), some have differed from broken marriages/job losses that left them unable to pay rent. How does a society stop people from losing their jobs, ending their marriages or turning to alcohol and drugs to ease personal pain or boredom desire for short-term highs? How can society provide a positive network of family and friends when the closest thing some folks have is gangs?

Forced addictions treatments are legally limited across this country. except in a small number of cases, where the person is an obvious danger to themselves or other, is it justified. Having to live in a tent, by itself, isn't considered a danger to others.

The efficacy of forced addiction treatment also has a spotty record. If an individual doesn't really want to give up on their addictions, their treatments don't often work, or only "work" for a short time.

Even volunteer addictions treatments, with plenty of family and peer support, aren't effective 100% of the time.

Sad to say, the only methods that seems to work to a degree are expensive and time consuming.

Edit: I think part of the problem dealing with homelessness was actually identified by Gillingham a while ago. There are a variety of agencies trying to deal with homelessness, but they're not providing a unified message. Some groups try to alleviate homelessness, others tell homeless people they have the right to camp/live wherever they want to. I don 't agree with the second viewpoint, and I agree that social service agencies, the civic and provincial governments need to speak and act with one voice.

Wab has spoken in the past about not allowing himself personal excuses for continuing on a self-destructive path in his life. I wish he'd speak out on this more, but maybe he doesn't want to sound "preachy"? Nevertheless, I think it's a message that needs to be repeated, IMO.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Last edited by pspeid; Aug 31, 2024 at 2:52 PM. Reason: added comment

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan