HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
You would only need to rip out a small end of the golf course to go from 8th to the Boulevard. No need to touch the UEL forest. As for the hill, eh, I need to take a closer look, but it's a challenge boring would face anyways (just less significantly). The good thing is there's a lot of room to dig once Broadway becomes 8th, unlike digging on an artery where one has to be mindful of traffic.

Also just so we are clear, my route goes down Broadway until it becomes 8th. It would dig through that curved stretch. There would be zero need to bore at any point, as the curve brings it from Broadway to Jericho seamlessly.

A station would likely be on 8th by that field east of the tennis courts.
A cut and cover tunnel from broadway/alma to 8th avenue would have to cross the highbury interceptor, a 2.9m diameter sewer pipe underneath highbury street. I don't think that's going to work. It either has to be a deep bored tunnel underneath the sewer, or elevated above.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
A cut and cover tunnel from broadway/alma to 8th avenue would have to cross the highbury interceptor, a 2.9m diameter sewer pipe underneath highbury street. I don't think that's going to work. It either has to be a deep bored tunnel underneath the sewer, or elevated above.
Going slow works or using a tunnel shield for 20m.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:09 PM

8th Avenue has a large interceptor as well that hooks into Highbury. It's a 2m unreinforced diameter pipe. It was tunneled so maybe 20-50m down?

Last edited by jollyburger; Jul 11, 2024 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
If it doesn't go deep, could it not be cut and cover still, just dug underneath? That pipe would still be a problem when boring anyways.

Anyways, I'm just shooting ideas for what could be cheaper than boring.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
8th Avenue has a large interceptor as well that hooks into Highbury. It's a 2m unreinforced diameter pipe. It was tunneled so maybe 20-50m down?

Highly dependent on soil conditions, but the clearance needed is far less than you suppose. Could be as little as 2m.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Highly dependent on soil conditions, but the clearance needed is far less than you suppose. Could be as little as 2m.
I wonder if Metro Vancouver/COV want a tunnel (either bored or cut & cover) or elevated guideway to run over a sewer interceptor? I guess the talk of an alignment along 8th Avenue near Jericho means it's not that important?

Last edited by jollyburger; Jul 11, 2024 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Metro Vancouver/COV want a tunnel (either bored or cut & cover) or elevated guideway to run over a sewer interceptor? I guess the talk of an alignment along 8th Avenue near Jericho means it's not that important?
There are plenty of services to work around. A major sewer is on Broadway itself for 7 blocks around MacDonald.

https://gis.metrovancouver.org/mvmaps/sewer

https://opendata.vancouver.ca/explor...561,-123.19641

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
There are plenty of services to work around. A major sewer is on Broadway itself for 7 blocks around MacDonald.

https://gis.metrovancouver.org/mvmaps/sewer

https://opendata.vancouver.ca/explor...561,-123.19641
I know you can hang pipes etc during construction and build under it but I meant for future access. I guess with a tunneled interceptor you are never going in to service it?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
I know you can hang pipes etc during construction and build under it but I meant for future access. I guess with a tunneled interceptor you are never going in to service it?

From the outside, pretty much. From the inside you can re-line. Once it reaches a risk point, you replace it.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 1:37 AM

the only place this thing might go cut & cover/not bored tunnel is once it hits the endowment lands. otherwise, it'll be bored.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
If it doesn't go deep, could it not be cut and cover still, just dug underneath? That pipe would still be a problem when boring anyways.

Anyways, I'm just shooting ideas for what could be cheaper than boring.
I did a little more investigation. The highbury interceptor is downhill from 4th avenue (8m above sea level) to Iona Island. Ground level at broadway / highbury is 20m above sea level, so that means the top of the sewer pipe is at least 12m underground at that point. Therefore I think that a cut and cover tunnel would actually go over it, not under it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 7:29 PM

2100-2500 Block West Broadway

Quote:
Thursday July 25, 2024 to Saturday August 17, 2024
24 hours

Permission is granted to the permit applicant to occupy/close a portion of the travel lane of 2100-2500 blk W Broadway to facilitate utility locates and test hole drilling for UBC Skytrain Extension as per approved Traffic Management Plan.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=237117459

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 7:46 PM

Wow, great find jolly!

That's Arbutus to Trafalgar. For reference, the first test hole drilling for the BSP was in 2015.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 8:22 PM

I guess this was the geotechnical contract from 2023 that was supposed to wrap up by December 31, 2024

Quote:
Transportation Investment Corporation (“TI Corp”) is providing and managing technical services to the Province during the Concept Plan (on-going) and Business Case phases of the Millennium Line SkyTrain Extension to UBC (“UBCx”), including the development of the Provincial Business Case, and may also be the delivery agent for the Project should it receive funding approval. UBCx is in the early project planning stage, and requires a multi-disciplinary Technical Advisor (“TA”) team to support the Province in the development of a robust Business Case Inputs Report and associated Reference Concept Design (“RCD”) for UBCx which will form the basis for the Provincial Business Case that will be developed by the Province.

It is anticipated that the Contractor will be responsible for all scope of work needed to develop the Business Case Inputs Report and RCD, inclusive of alignment and stations as well as undertaking all other associated field works required, such as geotechnical and environmental. The Contractor should have specialized knowledge of large, complex transit rail projects located in a dense, urban environments. The Contractor’s team will be experienced in data collection, geotechnical work, analysis of alignment options, stational function integration, environmental review and assessment, supporting Indigenous and public engagement and other tasks as described in this RFP to inform a completed Business Case for this project. The work is expected to commence as soon as possible after award and be completed by December 31, 2024.
https://www.merx.com/public/supplier...tract?origin=0

They were hiring a Senior PM for Project Integration last month as well

Quote:
This position will be responsible for managing components of the planning phase of a major integrated rapid transit project: Millennium Line SkyTrain Extension to UBC (UBCx). This position will also be responsible for supporting overall project management for UBCx, including internal TIC project management and the management of interfaces with the Province, technical contractors and project partners.
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/s...io-3958706739/

And a TOD focused contract also from 2023.

Quote:
The Millennium Line SkyTrain UBC Extension Project (“UBCx”) is a complex infrastructure project that includes a Transit component (track & train) and an Integrated development component (transit-oriented development (TOD) opportunities along alignment). It is intended that both components of the UBCx project will be advanced concurrently.

The UPAD will be responsible for urban and architectural development, key areas of focus for the Contractor will include input into Guidelines for Station Integration with Transit Oriented Development (led by MOTI), urban planning at station site location areas (Alma and Macdonald), support of active transportation mode analysis at stations, architectural development design concepts for integrated TOD at noted above stations (including potentially massing and form of station house(s) for TOD), etc.
https://www.merx.com/public/supplier...53033/abstract

From some bid supplementary documents (2023 so dates are out the window).

Quote:
Concept Plan contemplates TOD at Alma and MacDonald stations.
Quote:
UBCx is an extension of the Broadway Subway Project that is currently under construction and overseen by the Province (via Transportation Investment Corporation) with the target completion in 2026.
Quote:
The UBCx Project is anticipated to be delivered over four phases, as follows:
1. Phase 0: Concept Plan [underway] (Out of scope of this RFP)
2. Phase 1: Business Case and Reference Case Design (This RFP)
3. Phase 2: Procurement Readiness (Out of scope of this RFP)
4. Phase 3: Project Implementation (including Close out) (Out of scope of this RFP)
Quote:
The Province is leading the development of a Provincial Business Case, with the objective of securing
funding for Project implementation. In support of this work, a RCD for the Project is required to determine
capital and operating costs, areas of technical risk, integrated TOD opportunities, including affordable
housing and implementation requirements in order to inform a robust Business Case Inputs Report (costbenefit analysis) and provide necessary inputs into the Business Case. This work will help ensure the
Project is delivering value for money, but also confirm funding allocations are adequate to deliver the full
Project scope.
Quote:
As noted in section 3.2.1 the Mayor’s Council endorsed four stations at Macdonald Street, Alma Street,
Jericho Lands and UBC with exact locations to be determined as part of work under this RFP. However, the
Contractor may be required to support the TA where required in undertaking a high-level due diligence
analysis study (early in Phase 1A) of the alignment options previously investigated by TransLink from
Arbutus passing through the Jericho Lands as well as the alignment options passing through Sasamat to
UBC
Quote:
The Contractor may be responsible for supporting the Province in the pre-project development for UBCx.
The two TOD areas have been identified by the Province at Macdonald and Alma stations that may be
analyzed by the Contractor, in addition to review of other areas where integrated development may be
contemplated around stations.
Quote:
Work with real estate advisors (retained separately by the Province) on generation of a financial
model that tests the viability of developing the property through hypothetical modeling of
development scenarios and proforma analysis.
https://bcbid.gov.bc.ca/page.aspx/en...xtranet/169394

Last edited by jollyburger; Aug 12, 2024 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 8:37 PM

Quote:
The Contractor may be responsible for supporting the Province in the pre-project development for UBCx. The two TOD areas have been identified by the Province at Macdonald and Alma stations that may be analyzed by the Contractor, in addition to review of other areas where integrated development may be contemplated around stations.
Think they'll go with the Petro-Canada, or the Safeway?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Think they'll go with the Petro-Canada, or the Safeway?
I'm betting the SW corner with the gas station, the Safeway site seems far too large and isn't that old.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 9:21 PM

I'm guessing the Alma station will go in on the SE corner? That empty lot seems to be sitting there undeveloped waiting to become a station.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 9:41 PM

Seems reasonable. It's been vacant since the Campbell administration, might as well put it to good use.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 10:14 PM

Y'all talking expropriation of the gas station for a subway station?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Y'all talking expropriation of the gas station for a subway station?
Buying from a willing seller, not expropriation. Expropriation was not used for any of the properties acquired for the Broadway Subway, even for those properties at Main that the former owners started making a fuss about.

Given how fast gas stations are disappearing and the age of this specific location (it has service bays!) there is no reason to believe the owner would not be willing to sell for fair market value.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure