HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Sorry I guess I meant "easy" walking distance. Higgins/Luc Luc are like 15 minute walks with kids in tow. I'm thinking true urban, as in, a handful of places within maybe 3-5 blocks. Walk out the door, and in eyesight I can see a couple of restaurants/bars serving a theater crowd.

I just did a google search centered on Keller, zoomed to 5-6 blocks in any direction, open on a Sunday at 5pm. Pretty sparse selection. Almost 40 square blocks.
Yeah that’s true I most restaurants are not super close to the Keller. There is also Murata, across the street from the auditorium, sushi place since the 80s.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Given the incredible site in front of the Keller Fountain, I agree. If rumors of the James Beard Public Market moving into an existing building are correct, that might be a great use? By the time the new auditorium is built, the old one demolished, and a new structure built on the site the JBPM could potentially have been in operation for a decade and be ready to expand.
I agree. That would be a perfect location for a market district.

Last edited by maccoinnich; May 30, 2024 at 6:07 PM. Reason: correcting my own mistakes in the quoted tweet!

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:19 PM

I've just started listening to yesterday's hearing (posted below). From the introductions, it does sounds like City of Portland / Metro staff are very concerned about extended closures, which would seem to favor the PSU and Lloyd proposals.

Video Link

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I've just started listening to yesterday's hearing (posted below). From the introductions, it does sounds like City of Portland / Metro staff are very concerned about extended closures, which would seem to favor the PSU and Lloyd proposals.

Video Link
Why can't you build a temporary theater for Broadway shows inside the Expo Center or Oregon Convention Center? It's nowhere near idea but it could be done. The Opera could share space at the Schnitz.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:57 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Yeah that’s true I most restaurants are not super close to the Keller. There is also Murata, across the street from the auditorium, sushi place since the 80s.
Oh yeah, Murata is great, but not open on Sundays. Which is a big day for performances.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Portlanders now have a chance to weigh in on plans to replace or renovate Keller Auditorium

Should Portland remodel and retrofit the largest city-owned performing arts venue, or should an entirely new venue be built on a different site?

Now, just over a week after the city council heard three plans for the future of performing arts in Portland, residents have a chance to express their opinions about the future of the Keller Auditorium.

Keller Auditorium is the only venue in the city big enough to host Broadway shows. But the building is over 100 years and is classified as “unreinforced masonry.” In 2020, a seismic study found that the performance hall would suffer significant damage in a major earthquake.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Direct link to the survey.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 7:13 PM
A before E

Such a tough one to weigh in on because each option has it's pros and cons and I honestly don't know which is the right option.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Such a tough one to weigh in on because each option has its pros and cons and I honestly don't know which is the right option.

I think even hearing that is important, and would help to moderate the vocal minorities likely to be stumping for/against each.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Fighting for Keller jobs

As the Portland City Council debates whether to renovate the Keller Auditorium or build a new venue, performers and workers are worried about being put out of work for years.

The Keller is Portland’s premier venue for traveling Broadway shows, the Portland Opera, ballet productions, and more. In 2020, a city study determined that the century-old auditorium likely wouldn’t survive a powerful earthquake. This summer, the city council is considering three plans for the Keller’s future: building a modern auditorium at the Lloyd Center or Portland State University, or a renovation and redesign of the existing venue in downtown Portland.

The Keller employs hundreds of workers as stagehands, performing artists, wardrobe workers, musicians, ticket-takers, and food and beverage handlers. Renovating the Keller would close the venue for about a year and half, according to a nonprofit advocating for the renovation plan, the Portland-based Halprin Landscape Conservancy. Closing the Keller for just one year would cost an estimated 320 jobs and $20 million in labor income, according to a report paid for by the regional government Metro.

Union members are rallying to prevent that.
...continues at NW Labor Press.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 8:31 PM

Is it an option to build a new facility and also refurbish the Keller? Could we sustain 2 in the long run? I looked around trying to find some data on current/projected demand and capacity, but did not find much. Portland seems like a fairly arts-supportive city. Maybe its hard enough to fund one, let alone 2. Does anyone know if this was considered?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:23 PM

Quote:
...continues at NW Labor Press.
I wonder of the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall would be an option for temporary relocation of Broadway performances?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
Is it an option to build a new facility and also refurbish the Keller? Could we sustain 2 in the long run? I looked around trying to find some data on current/projected demand and capacity, but did not find much. Portland seems like a fairly arts-supportive city. Maybe its hard enough to fund one, let alone 2. Does anyone know if this was considered?
I believe the Keller would be demolished or repurposed - too expensive to refurbish AND build new. How about the James Beard Market in the remaining shell?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
Even putting aside cost, I doubt there's demand. Both the PSU and Lloyd proposals include a direct replacement of the Keller and a smaller theater. With the recent completion of the Patricia Reser Center for the Arts, the Portland area would be pretty well served by that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I wonder of the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall would be an option for temporary relocation of Broadway performances?
I don't think the Schnitzer has a fly tower or the deep stage that Broadway needs.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I don't think the Schnitzer has a fly tower or the deep stage that Broadway needs.
I'm not sure either. They have a technical line set, but I have no clue if it is nearly what is required of a Broadway production.
Here are the theater's technical specs - https://www.portland5.com/sites/defa...CS-OnGoing.pdf

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I'm not sure either. They have a technical line set, but I have no clue if it is nearly what is required of a Broadway production.
Here are the theater's technical specs - https://www.portland5.com/sites/defa...CS-OnGoing.pdf
I can only assume the schnitzer is never mentioned during this process because it’s not capable of supporting ballet or broadway shows. It’s too obvious otherwise.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment