HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 10:27 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Knowing the musical tastes of Ottawa, I'm guessing on Trooper, Prism or April Wine.
Raise a little hell!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:28 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Knowing the musical tastes of Ottawa, I'm guessing on Trooper, Prism or April Wine.
CanCon FTW!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:55 PM

... WIth Special opening act - Luba!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:02 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
The 'we'd really like to come to Canada' line makes me think it is not going to be a domestic act.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
The 'we'd really like to come to Canada' line makes me think it is not going to be a domestic act.
Surely it must be Supertramp then

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 3:33 PM

Nickelback... 100% for certain

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:17 PM

Jelly Roll and Shaboozey to perform the extra night at Ottawa Bluesfest

Josh Pringle
CTV News Ottawa Producer
June 18, 2024

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/jelly-roll...fest-1.6931097

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Jelly Roll? [eye roll]

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:17 PM

Who is this?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Who is this?
I only know him because my mom's a fan. Sounds bad, but she's into more modern music than I am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Roll_(singer)

He was nominated and won a few country music awards. He was also nominated for two Grammys.

https://www.youtube.com/@JellyRoll/videos

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 8:44 PM
Mooderator

Damn I wanted Roger Hodgson.

His modern website seems to have no up to date tour dates.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Damn I wanted Roger Hodgson.

His modern website seems to have no up to date tour dates.
Wow...that website looks like it is from the Netscape Navigator Era.

I have no idea who these two headline acts are that have been brought in. Reading a bit into their background and brushes with the law on numerous issues, they appear to be a couple of scrotes but who I am to judge. Current chart music thankfully passes me by most of the time.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:14 PM
Mooderator

I am not sure why the hell they call it 'Bluesfest' anymore.. or for the past 15 years.

Obviously this Jell-o Roll fellow was waiting on some sort of pardon to cross the border to play for a crowd that will upload their videos to the Twitch.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:54 PM

I hope they have checked/applied for whether this guy would be allowed in the country. He seems to have some pretty serious stuff in his past. (aggravated robbery with a gun to steel weed) I have heard of people rejected at the border with a lot less on their file than him....

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 12:56 AM

Jelly Roll is one of the hottest artists in music right now, you may not know him but this is a big get. He had the best ever acceptance speech when he won best new artist at one of the country award shows last year. With apologies to Mr Young, this will no doubt be the most popular and talked about night of Bluesfest.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:01 AM

Shamboozey also has a hit song out right now called "A Bar Song (Tipsy)" that I can't go a day without hearing it played somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 11:37 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
Shamboozey also has a hit song out right now called "A Bar Song (Tipsy)" that I can't go a day without hearing it played somewhere.
I had to google it and I've never heard of the artist or the song.

I'm not even a boomer!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
I hope they have checked/applied for whether this guy would be allowed in the country. He seems to have some pretty serious stuff in his past. (aggravated robbery with a gun to steel weed) I have heard of people rejected at the border with a lot less on their file than him....
Reported on Pure Country radio today that he has received the proper clearances to cross the border, he has been working on it for a couple years.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Keith Richards got busted in T.O. with heroin.. and? How do we even begin a list of musicians with troubling pasts of drug use and crime?

The takes in this thread are hilarious. I guess it's not called MusicFanPage for a reason.

Personally I'd only heard of Jelly Roll recently as well and frankly I can't stand modern "country" music but I'm not going to poo poo other people from going and having a good time.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 1:01 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'By far the hottest, sweatiest show of my life': Here's what happened when Escapade was cancelled
Ottawa has had a hard time shaking the moniker of ‘the city that fun forgot’. But Sunday night was a different story.

Marlo Glass, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 25, 2024 • Last updated 27 minutes ago • 4 minute read

Sunday was an uncharacteristically busy night in the nation’s capital.

Thousands of people, glitter-clad and ready to rave — but with no festival to attend — flooded the streets of the ByWard Market, Centretown and surrounding neighbourhoods after one of Ottawa’s major music festivals was cancelled.

There were 45,000 attendees expected to see the sold-out festival’s final day, with the Chainsmokers and Armin Van Buuren among the biggest names set to perform.

The doors for Escapade Music Festival, an electronic dance music fest that has lit up the city (it has had various locations over the years) with strobe lights and drum and bass music since 2010, were slated to open at 1 p.m.

But Ottawa was under a heavy rainfall warning issued by Environment Canada on Sunday, with the forecast calling for 25-50 mm of rain and the possibility of severe thunderstorms.

The doors were finally opened at 3:15 p.m. Then, at about 5 p.m., festival organizers posted on social media that the day’s shows had been cancelled, in entirety.

“Due to unsafe site conditions from heavy rain and pending storm warnings for the rest of the evening, we have made the difficult decision to cancel Day 3 of the festival,” the post read. “The safety of our attendees, artists, and staff is our utmost priority. After careful consideration and consultation with local authorities and meteorologists, we have determined that proceeding with the festival could pose significant safety risks.”

Superstar Dutch DJ Armin Van Buuren posted a social media video filmed on a street in the ByWard Market.

“I hope everybody’s safe, and I feel really bad for all those fans who were looking forward to see the show.”

Van Buuren shouldn’t have worried, though. While rain showers persisted throughout Sunday night, festival-goers took to the ByWard Market in search of a party, with hundreds vying for a spot at 27 Club, where musical acts Subtronics, Tape B and others were playing an impromptu pop-up show.

“It was jumping,” producer and DJ ALLEYCVT said in an interview Monday afternoon.

“Everyone was so excited to be there. I think everyone turned up before the show. The festival was cancelled, so what else can we do? Drink and party.”

ALLEYCVT says she left another music festival early in order to perform at Escapade, and was disappointed with the extreme weather.

“Mother Nature didn’t feel like having a festival.”

27 Club promoted the event as a free pop-up party after the festival was cancelled, “first come first serve with an Escapade wristband,” the York Street club posted on social media, adding that their capacity was 250 people.

ALLEYCVT likened the vibe inside 27 Club to a “proper basement rave,” with a packed, “jumping” crowd and DJs playing their sets off a picnic table.

“It was very sweaty, that’s one thing I will say,” she said. “It was super hot.”

But, she added, “it ended up being something I’ll remember for a long time.”

The City of Ottawa received 38 noise complaints related to the festival, but didn’t specify if any tickets were handed out, saying, “as investigations remain ongoing, no further information can be released at this time.”

Ottawa police briefly closed Sussex Drive and Dalhousie Street in the market to cars due to the large crowd, but there were no arrests or disturbances.

Deek Labelle is general manager of The Lafayette, a bar across the street from the 27 Club. She said she was surprised there wasn’t more police intervention as the crowd “grew and grew” on Sunday night, likening it to the hustle and bustle of Canada Day.

“There was a big crowd right outside our door, all young people, it was a bit unsafe in terms of traffic,” she said, adding, “our staff are prepared for busy nights, that’s what they do best.”

Ottawa has had a hard time shaking the moniker of “the city that fun forgot,” and even recently hired a “night mayor” to reinvigorate and reimagine the city’s nightlife scene.

This newspaper sought comment from Mathieu Grondin, who was announced officially as the city’s nightlife commissioner on June 11, but he was not made available for an interview. The city confirmed Grondin attended Escapade on Friday but was not in attendance in the ByWard Market on Sunday due to the weather.

Labelle acknowledged Ottawa has been “called all kinds of things,” but said the city is full of people with diverse interests “that span across the city.”

“I welcome these unique events, opportunities for programming that is inclusive and safe. I want to see more of that, especially down in the ByWard.”

Further afield at the Rideau Curling Club in Centretown, event planners Filet Mignon Gang expanded their after-party to include additional DJ sets.

“By far the hottest, sweatiest show of my life,” Kayzo, a DJ who took the stage around 1 a.m., posted on social media. “Ottawa I love u.”

The Chainsmokers, an American DJ duo and one of the largest acts of the festival, marvelled at the crowd before they played a pop-up set at the Sky Lounge on York Street.

“Sheeet,” The Chainsmokers posted on Instagram around 9 p.m., showing a large lineup outside the lounge down York Street. “We gonna need a bigger clurb.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...elled-abruptly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation