HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:37 PM
Project manger

I'm almost considering a BC justice thread, where we get a chance to name judges who let people off with out locking them up for heinous crimes. Today, a story about a looser homeless guy who beat another man in Kamloops. The victim likely to die, and the junkie was let go with out any time served. In fact the crown asked for him to be detained and the judge George Leven, let him go with if he promised to come back later when he's charged with either assault or murder????????????????????

Really? are you kidding me? Seems to happen every week...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:43 PM
Project manger

It appears that the Kenna Cartwright NIMBYS lost. The town home project will proceed.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:16 PM
Project manger

Fire between Kamloops and Savona ( 90 sq meters they say ).

Who wants to bet it will be out of control by weeks end with ZERO response from BC wildfire. They are sending all local staff up north as we speak, so no one will be here to deal with local issues.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:02 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Fire between Kamloops and Savona ( 90 sq meters they say ).

Who wants to bet it will be out of control by weeks end with ZERO response from BC wildfire. They are sending all local staff up north as we speak, so no one will be here to deal with local issues.
Quote:

Wildfire crews make quick work of small blaze burning near Savona

The fire was listed on the BC Wildfire Service website at about 6:15 p.m. and mapped at about 90 square metres.

A fire information officer with the Kamloops Fire Centre told Castanet the blaze was extinguished by an initial attack crew, is now considered out and was removed from the BCWS website.

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/new...ng-near-Savona
K whatever you say. lmao

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:55 PM
Project manger

Well predicting the future after it happens is something ANYONE can do. congratulations.
The president of letting fires burn was set last year, unless you wern't here.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:00 PM
Project manger

I have to admit the turmoil created by the sewer upgrades haven't been that bad. Lousy timing with the Halston bridge work, but all in all traffic flow has not been as bad as many thought it was going to be. There were a few days where things got bad, and I think the issues with Columbia street are more or less a result of the City Garden project...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 5:42 PM

Sounds like a big announcement this morning.

https://www.radionl.com/2024/06/24/p...-for-kamloops/

Must total 7-8 buildings, with 3-4 being downtown. Total of 500 units. Must be biggest in Kamloops History???

Here are the Columbia Precinct buildings

Columbia2 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Last edited by BC.Tom; Jun 24, 2024 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:33 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
I have to admit the turmoil created by the sewer upgrades haven't been that bad. Lousy timing with the Halston bridge work, but all in all traffic flow has not been as bad as many thought it was going to be. There were a few days where things got bad, and I think the issues with Columbia street are more or less a result of the City Garden project...
The timing of the lights is infuriating. It's made no better if you go down Victoria and you have the advanced pedestrian crossing, leaving vehicles with ten seconds before the light changes and a signal cascade travelling in the opposite direction of traffic.
In the morning you can clear downtown in several minutes. By 10 it can take ten minutes to get from 3rd to 2nd, then get a chance to turn left. In the afternoon you logjam between 1st and 2nd on Seymour because of one light, then it clears up.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:37 PM

With 6 new buildings going in south of Columbia they really have the opportunity to improve the trails along Peterson creek. Hope that happens, will be interesting to see if they have anything planned. There'll be a lot more people living in that area in the next 5 years and feel like bikes will be the best mode of transportation.

Is the site across from Denny's included at some point? I thought it was getting redeveloped as well. That would be a location for some commercial/restaurant on the creek if it ever does.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:49 PM

Noticed the Marquees on Lorne is on that list. You think that means they'll finally build the mirror twin that was always planned for that lot?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 10:18 PM
Project manger

I highly doubt the project on Lorne street will get done. I'm sure the crane has rusted together at this point and will eventually fall on the building they already built.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 10:25 PM
Project manger

Kamloops council approves borrowing of up to $275 million for Centre for the Arts and new arena multiplex

Kamloops Council has tentatively approved the borrowing of up to $140 million for the Centre for the Performing Arts and up to $135 million for a new ice complex, pending the results of a counter-petition by voters.

In a 9-0 vote, council voted to move the two projects – which are part of the ambitious Build Kamloops initiative – to the next stage.

Communications Manager Kristen Rodrigue says the plan to borrow the $275 million will cost the average Kamloops household – valued at around $800,000 – an extra $25 a year for the next five years.

“And this provides the city with approximately $1.34 million [extra a year] to offset future borrowing costs,” she said. “And as the city grows and new residents choose to call Kamloops home, they too will contribute through their property taxes, minimizing the impact on today’s residents.”

- An extra $25.00 a year folks. I hope they are right. Either way, I support it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 10:26 PM

VantageHD: They mentioned the two buildings being phase one so maybe the old post building is phase two: https://www.bcbuildshomes.ca/sites/d...t-kamloops.pdf

We are finally moving on the Build Kamloops initiatives. I like the location of the new rink, easy access off the highway and very visible coming through town.

rink by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 1:55 AM

That does read like the lot across from Denny's will be phase 2. Thanks for posting that report. It also sounds like they are mandating office space on the ground floor so no restaurants in phase 1.

I agree, that's a great location for the multiplex. Will help with attracting industry to the new business park going in there, and for down the road when the new bridge goes in for connection to brock.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 1:56 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

That's awesome. What's the seating capacity of the new arena?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 3:15 PM

I wouldn't imagine much, maybe a couple hundred. This will be built to accommodate ice time more than anything. I'd guess 3-4 rows of seating on one side and I think I heard 4 sheets of ice.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.Tom View Post
Sounds like a big announcement this morning.

https://www.radionl.com/2024/06/24/p...-for-kamloops/

Must total 7-8 buildings, with 3-4 being downtown. Total of 500 units. Must be biggest in Kamloops History???

Here are the Columbia Precinct buildings

Columbia2 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr
It's a long shot, but does anyone happen to know which firms prepared the plans for this project?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:58 PM

Looks like they are called Faction. See here: https://www.bcbuildshomes.ca/sites/d...t-kamloops.pdf

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:12 PM
Project manger

First look at the new cancer center at RIH

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia