HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 4:36 PM
Registered Ugly

Hm. Given they just closed the Basics Market in Aloha after a year, this would surprise me, but maybe its proximity to higher income people would be better for this brand.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Hm. Given they just closed the Basics Market in Aloha after a year, this would surprise me, but maybe its proximity to higher income people would be better for this brand.
I actually found it. Organic Milk Exchange.

https://apps2.beavertonoregon.gov/De...g%20Notice.pdf

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Anyone know what the plan is for this building on Western Ave? https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/5051...on-OR/4051141/

Drove by yesterday and saw some cars with Basics Market decals. Years ago, my neighbor said a grocery store was planned there, but I think it might just be a distribution warehouse.
I believe it is a dairy distribution center for Basics Market.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
Subsidizing this would infuriate me if I were a Hillsboro taxpayer.
Subsidized by lodging taxes... lodging tax is paid to the hotels by guests when they stay here. Those funds are then being put back into the tourism industry for projects like this, which draws tourism. I live in Hillsboro and am a huge proponent for this project.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:22 AM

Quote:
I believe it is a dairy distribution center for Basics Market.
Huh? Basics is down to one store.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Subsidized by lodging taxes... lodging tax is paid to the hotels by guests when they stay here. Those funds are then being put back into the tourism industry for projects like this, which draws tourism. I live in Hillsboro and am a huge proponent for this project.
Yes, I understand that. But those lodging taxes could go to a bunch of different things that aren't subsidizing millionaires private business.

And although I have no data to back this, i HIGHLY doubt the Hops are drawing people to fill those hotels.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. But those lodging taxes could go to a bunch of different things that aren't subsidizing millionaires private business.

And although I have no data to back this, i HIGHLY doubt the Hops are drawing people to fill those hotels.
Exactly. The city is using cash reserves now, hoping that their reserves will be replenished by funds that will only be provided by people actually staying in hotels to come see games at the stadium, which is always a risk for a smaller team like the Hops. This isn't some major team where it's a surefire investment; they're taking a risk with public funds. It's not quite the same as tax increment financing, but...in practice, it's just as much of a risk. The city's not providing an abatement, but they're still giving public money to the business, without any real guarantee that it'll pay off.

Cities around the country need to stop paying sports teams' venues. This isn't some kind of industrial enterprise that's going to be providing a good/service whether or not there's a market for their product, the market for the product isn't going to produce itself without a lot of marketing. If people don't care to travel to see Hops games--and let's be real, fans of this team are almost certainly going to be local enough that they won't need a hotel stay to come see a game--then the city's just going to be out the money, with nothing but a fancy stadium to show for it. It's the same racket as major league stadiums, just at a smaller scale.

There's either demand enough that these teams can fund their extravagant venues, or there isn't. No need to toss public money into the calculation.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:

Well I just so happen to have actual information on some of the direct impact these teams have in their own market from the hotel side of things. The Hops organization alone puts up visiting team players, families of players, MiLB/MLB personnel, etc. to the tune of well over 1000 room nights per year in local hotels. Even with that conservative number (it’s actually more but I can't disclose actuals), they are paying local hotels more than $200,000 in room revenue each year.

This doesn’t include any other tourists traveling to watch the games or other events that the stadium will host. That is the Hops organization themselves paying that into the community just for lodging and doesn’t include any other money spent by those people for food, entertainment, retail, etc. in the community. The Hops organization also sponsors local youth sports and other programs that benefit the community.

The private investment that the Hops ownership is pitching in for this stadium is also much higher than pretty much any other minor league team has done. They worked this financing in a way that the local residents are not having to foot the bill for. They are also helping with the replacement of the displaced fields and having the existing stadium now available for more public use and to host other larger events will also be a huge benefit to Hillsboro.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Well I just so happen to have actual information on some of the direct impact these teams have in their own market from the hotel side of things. The Hops organization alone puts up visiting team players, families of players, MiLB/MLB personnel, etc. to the tune of well over 1000 room nights per year in local hotels. Even with that conservative number (it’s actually more but I can't disclose actuals), they are paying local hotels more than $200,000 in room revenue each year.

This doesn’t include any other tourists traveling to watch the games or other events that the stadium will host. That is the Hops organization themselves paying that into the community just for lodging and doesn’t include any other money spent by those people for food, entertainment, retail, etc. in the community. The Hops organization also sponsors local youth sports and other programs that benefit the community.

The private investment that the Hops ownership is pitching in for this stadium is also much higher than pretty much any other minor league team has done. They worked this financing in a way that the local residents are not having to foot the bill for. They are also helping with the replacement of the displaced fields and having the existing stadium now available for more public use and to host other larger events will also be a huge benefit to Hillsboro.
Cool, I’m glad you’re happy with this. But let’s look at the math:
Assuming 1000 room nights, Hillsboro tlt (transient lodging tax) of 3%, the cities share of Washington County’s TLT, pls a room rate of $200 per night.

That would generate approximately $10,788 of city taxes. Now maybe the other benefits you listed offset this for you, and if so, again, I’m happy for you. But this would infuriate me if I were a Hillsboro taxpayer (thankfully I am not, I live in Beaverton).

These are simple policy decisions that I would not make, but I’m not on the City Council of Hillsboro.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Cool, I’m glad you’re happy with this. But let’s look at the math:
Assuming 1000 room nights, Hillsboro tlt (transient lodging tax) of 3%, the cities share of Washington County’s TLT, pls a room rate of $200 per night.

That would generate approximately $10,788 of city taxes. Now maybe the other benefits you listed offset this for you, and if so, again, I’m happy for you. But this would infuriate me if I were a Hillsboro taxpayer (thankfully I am not, I live in Beaverton).

These are simple policy decisions that I would not make, but I’m not on the City Council of Hillsboro.
Outside money also turns in the other jobs. I don't know the number, but surely these visitors spend money elsewhere too. So it should probably be looked at in the same manner as tourism dollars, whatever that is. 1,000 hotel rooms means X, regardless if it's for baseball, a concert, beer festival, etc. Plus taxes on game ticket sales, merchandise, concessions (provided those get paid up....many sports teams are decades behind in taxes owed to cities).

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Outside money also turns in the other jobs. I don't know the number, but surely these visitors spend money elsewhere too. So it should probably be looked at in the same manner as tourism dollars, whatever that is. 1,000 hotel rooms means X, regardless if it's for baseball, a concert, beer festival, etc. Plus taxes on game ticket sales, merchandise, concessions (provided those get paid up....many sports teams are decades behind in taxes owed to cities).
Definitely accurate, but don't think its substantial enough to offset the multiple millions of dollars the city handed over. But again, that's a policy decision that Hillsboro elected officials made, not me.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon