Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13
The more I think of it, the more I'd like to see the Queen E. be transformed into a Transitway. I think a route down Bank would be more beneficial, but it's not worth the expense. Too many lights for a busway or tramway. Underground is not justified at this time. Queen E. as a Transitway could build ridership to one day better justify a Bank subway once Line 2 and Bayview are maxed-out.
Stations could be under Laurier, at Somerset and Argyle in Centretown, and at the Flora Footbridge and Lansdowne in the Glebe. You could even continue it to reach the Carling BRT-lite.
|
I agree, it's much better to convert the Queen Elizabeth Drive to a Tramway to accommodate better connection from Carling, Bronson, Lansdowne, and to Byward. That way there's a better connection to Line 1 and Line 2 as well through Rideau Centre (it can stop near Byward after Mackenzie King near the National Arts Centre) and stop at Dow's Lake. One, that would make Dow's Lake much better for all the densification efforts (considering there's Soho Italia, Icon, The Sky, and the 60 floor proposal from Claridge). It also creates a connection to the hospital and Lansdowne for downtown residents.
NCC can also definitely build or utilize things along the Queen Elizabeth route and better maintain Colonel By Drive as the road for vehicles. I know Colonel By won't have much room to expand but it could also be expanded to be 3 lanes and switch per rush hour timings (like Portage Bridge).
That's just my two cents.