HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I agree but they're not necessarily humane operations, though arguably some are (I don't think it's cruel to have chickens that wander around outside and lay eggs as long as you take care of them well). I'm just responding to the idea that these people are idiots who are losing money or devastated economically because they put their farm in a floodplain. Or that these farms would have been fine if not for climate change.

From the perspective of chickens who live for 4 months this once in 30-year event is a once per 90 generation event. Fraser Valley chickens could easily have a sub-0.1% flood fatality rate.

I do think the correct solution will probably avoid all of these issues through some mix of adaptation in land use and infrastructure improvements. But the details around that seem unavailable. I think pointing fingers (they should or shouldn't have had some land use, the infrastructure was bad, people are climate denier fools) is premature right now. Let's wait for the flood waters to recede and for assessments of engineers before we pass our judgements...
Of course you have to question whether raising chickens in industrial coops or having fields for dairy cows is the best use of such productive soil. Those things could easily be done in more hilly terrain. Anyone who has been to Bavaria or Switzerland knows you can graze cows on just about any mountain!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada