HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
It's the internet, so YMMV.

Also, the discussion is dominated by a handful of people. How reflective they are of a society of millions of people? Again, YMMV.

I largely get the impression the Quebec does not particularly care about the rest of Canada. They might be somewhat annoyed if you're particularly rude about demanding to be served in English, but are generally reasonably tolerant if you make some attempt to try to work on their terms. It also depends on the place. Montreal versus Saguenay? Different places, different takes.

People crow here about how diverse their city/province is. Well this literally is diversity, for better or worse. I do suspect some just want 'diversity' in the superficial sense and not the deeper (and probably more conflicted) one.
Yeah, I know... I've been on 'the internet' for 25-ish years, so I'm aware of the dynamics of these platforms. I know it's a few people speaking for the many, however when you hear the same themes over and over again with references that these are popular ideas in the majority of the province, you have to think there's something to it (i.e. the smoke and fire analogy).

Does that mean I'm going to travel to Quebec and say "Fuck you frenchy - speak to me in English"? Hell no. I will do as I always have done - attempt to speak whatever French I am capable of, have them chuckle at me and then speak to me in fluid English. If they don't speak English, then I'll fumble about with random words and gestures just as I have done with my Japanese colleagues who come to the country with long-ago learned but seldom used English skills. The basic rules of mutual respect for all people, regardless of culture or language should always apply and I do my best to do my part, even if I don't have deep insight into their culture (which is a lifetime's worth of 'work in progress' ).

I think my comments were fair as they stand, though, in the context of this thread on this forum, and I am in agreement with your take on the situation in general.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada