HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Like how VW claimed they could build diesel engines that met government regulations? And I doubt GM can build EVs profitably considering they can't build sedans profitably or really anything smaller than a midsize crossover/truck. Given how GM has been steadily losing ground even in North America, the EV move is probably a hail mary in a recognition that it couldn't compete long-term against Honda/Toyota or Hyundai-Kia in the current market place. Honda missed a golden opportunity to compete head-to-head with Toyota when it didn't buy Chrsyler for Jeep and Ram, perhaps it can pick up Silverado and GMC in 15-20 years.

I'm sure any EV profit at this time comes from:

a) Government subsidies and incentives helping to raise average transaction price
b) Acquiring credits to be used to offset penalties on the profitable bigger oil powered cars
If EVs are just a ponzi scheme/scam, are there some automakers betting against this? Honestly I don't know, but if the market is as you say, then the smart automakers would think long term and stick with gas. I'd also expect you'd see short sellers betting against those investing in EV production. Maybe they are, I don't know?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada