HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:07 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Another consideration to slowing traffic that's worth noting -- noise reduction and the change to the "feel" of streets, especially on our more pedestrian-heavy streets in the downtown and adjacent areas. They're a lot more pleasant to walk on, or spend time on, when the traffic is a little calmer. I'm less concerned about this effect, say, out on 8th Street. Although if the City wants to make corridors like that more attractive for mixed use development with residential over the next 40 years, then we need to be thinking about making those places into more pleasant living environments as well.
I think this aspect cannot be overstated. When I lived near Broadway I would cut through the residential streets depending on when traffic lights changed, slow drivers in front of me, etc. By reducing the speed on most streets while keeping a 50 kph limit on key arterial streets the city can funnel traffic to wider streets more capable of handling the speed.

Cities should be designed for people, whether they choose to walk, bike or drive. Reducing speed limits to 40 kph would likely make more cyclists feel comfortable riding on the street, may make crossing the street as a pedestrian feel less daunting and will absolutely reduce traffic collisions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan