HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:03 AM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but Canada seems like it hit a cultural zenith in the late 1960s and early 1970s. There was a level of enthusiasm which slowly got stripped away after that, and it seems the country hasn't really been able to it back.
I was 6 years old in 1967. I remember it all, the big parades, the centennial train, the building of new rinks, community halls, and other government buildings in celebration of the 100 years since confederation.
My mom and dad were able to build a new house on the farm with actual running water and flush toilets! And to top it off was Expo 67 in Montreal and eventhough my family and I were unable to go there, we were able to watch it all on the television.
There seemed to be nothing that Canada couldn't do at the time (of course I was oblivious to all the underlying issues that were being papered over) and then the FLQ, the election of the PQ, OPEC and all the rest of the things that tripped up Canada. Now it seems like we've kinda given up and have embraced the branch plant mentality (sports and culture wise) that we were so fearful of in the 60's.

adding - I'm in no way singling out Quebec for all the ills of Canada. It just seemed to me that the business exodus from Montreal really changed the face of Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.