HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Once the rest of the economy is decarbonized, the best way to address freight rail emissions is probably to either do some sort of carbon offset program or to use biodiesel which can potentially be carbon neutral.
I am not a big fan of biofuels. It seems to me to be greenwashing rather than a truly green option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The same probably goes for shipping industry.
Possibly, though the big problem with shipping is a lack of regulation and enforcement of pollution standards. It is difficult to resolve since they are sailing in international waters and ships are often registered in countries that offer favorable tax incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
H2 seems like a good option - adding a car or two of H2 tanks to the train would be trivial. Would just depend if the cost is worth it vs electrifying, batteries or biofuel.
H2 is certainly a good alternative in the long term. The issue is economically producing H2 using a green method. Today most H2 is produced by steam reforming natural gas, in which releases CO2, in which case you would be better off just burning the natural gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
As you say though, this is not low lying fruit. There's a ton of things to clean up before we look at the railways.
Our electrical grids for one thing. Also, as I said before, getting more freight off of trucks and onto trains.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada