HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I passed through Harkness station on my way home from work and it looks like they've washed or treated the concrete panels on the building. It's looking real nice

However, it's too bad that they weren't allowed to put those townhouses in on the front of the parkade, having a street front on Stradbrook from Donald to Harkness would really add to the feel of the station. Are they putting panels or sort on the sides of the parkade? It looked like they were doing something to it.
Oh they were allowed, they decided to save money and the city said sure, bucko! They've installed a few plain steel mesh panels which honestly just draw more attention to how ugly it is. There is one "art panel" to be installed on the Stradbrook side, but the renders made it look like maybe it'll cover 25%. It's going to be like the big psyche-out of the Centrepoint parkade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah that's a loss to be sure, but townhouses feel somewhat off on that street. I'd have gladly settled for more commercial street front units to hide the parkade in behind.
I think townhouses would have done just fine, but yeah it could have been commercial or just anything. Hell, put the building gym in front of it. It's across from an RT station and the city just announced massive investments coming to RT. If I was the owner of 240 Stradbrook I'd be tearing down the big awning out front and building some commercial space all along the front, plenty of space for it.

That whole area around Harkness is ripe for a boom – great location and proximity to downtown but would be a little less pricey. Quick busses to U of M. Those empty lots on Mayfair/River are begging for mid-high rise development.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan