HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 9:42 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
That's funny. I was working on research about urban agriculture with a professor of mine recently and pretty much told her I wasn't going any further with it. I just don't agree with it. Sure, they are a nice idea. If you have a yard, please, go for it. But I don't think cities like NYC should be purposively encouraging these farms on lots that could otherwise be developed. It makes no sense. They produce barely anything(most of them), they create semi-dead spots most of the time, and they produce very little of the social benefit supporters pretend they provide. Of course, as with anything in academia, race comes into the picture. The literature tries to paint the picture that black people "controlling" their food supply is one of the most important ways to get past the racist food supply system...or something. It all gets really silly the futher you get into it.

Just put the farms in the burbs if you must have farms as close to people as possible.

I can’t speak to the conditions of urban gardens in New York but urban gardens in Sacramento’s midtown are very active. Granted Sacramento is not New York, neither in size or density. But one thing we see is a diversity of people and cultures coming together to grow food and flowers.

Far from creating “semi dead spots” urban farms here create green spots (oasis) wonderful sanctuaries in the middle of the urban jungle that allow people to slow down and connect with nature and have a hand in growing their food.

I would disagree that they belong in the burbs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions