HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:10 PM

They did this in San Diego maybe 10 years ago, in an area where the two biggest freeways in the county merged together, I-5 and I-805. It's a HUGE bottleneck, imagine 215 and 15 merging in a V shape in Lehi. So they widened the freeway to I think 22 lanes, the widest in the US at the time, but 6 of the outside lanes (3 in each direction) were separated from main traffic and served as the "Local Bypass" for people exiting at the few exits in the area.

I'm surprised cities don't do this more, allowing cars not needing to exit to be separated from the traffic that is coming on and off the exits, reducing the amount of congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
It's a different kind of widening this time. No more haphazardly adding lanes. UDOT is building a parallel collector-distributor system. It's more similar to what is built in Dallas and less similar to Los Angeles.

Here's what's different: While true, the new C/D system does *add* 3 lanes to I-15. But, UDOT will actually remove 2 lanes from the old mainline freeway.

(At full build-out, in a future year) The C/D will have access to local exits in Sandy (126th, 114th, 106th, and 90th), while the mainline will skip the exits and zoom from Bangerter to I-215 without interruption.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West