HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
What do you guys think of the commuter tax? I worry it would stymie the movement of jobs downtown and offset any benefit of increased tax revenue, but I really haven't thought or read much about it.
It’s really not obvious to me. We definitely don’t want to discourage employment downtown—the net fiscal benefit of every additional worker downtown is almost certainly positive. But the counter factual to a commuter tax is not necessarily the status quo. Rather, it could be a higher property tax on commercial buildings downtown, which would be even worse. The disincentive to downtown employment from a commuter tax would at least somewhat offset by some workers moving into the city, but a higher property tax downtown can only be avoided by moving jobs out.

Some very quick and very rough calculations just to put some structure on the problem: Looking at Census LODES data show about 542k workers work in Chicago and commute from the suburbs. Assuming an average income of 50k, a $100 commuter tax (I've heard that number bandied about before) would amount to a 2% pay cut. I've estimated the elasticity of commuting flows with respect to wages in Chicago in the past, showing that a 1% drop in wages would cause a 1% drop in the flow of commuters (which would vary by each workers' wages and length of commute, but let's ignore that for now). So a 2% drop in workers in the city would be about 10k workers gone. That amounts to a 0.08% drop in total employment in the city, which would have ramifications for both a lot of businesses in the city as well as wages for other workers. Consensus estimates among economists for the elasticity of wages with respect to employment is 7%, meaning a drop of employment of 0.08% causes a 0.008*0.07=0.05% drop in the average Chicago worker's income. Assuming an average income of 50k, that's a reduction in total Chicago income of $35 million. The $100 commuter tax nets $54 million. If the reduction in sales taxes and other fiscal benefits commuters brings is greater than 54-35 = 19 million, this looks like a useless tax.

Last edited by Khantilever; Nov 29, 2018 at 6:15 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest