HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:41 AM

Counting spires

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
That would require the rewriting of history as we know it almost every "Tallest" building lies about its height. The Empire State Building at the time of its completion without a doubt was the tallest building in the world. However. It lists 102 floors yet most of the floors over 90 don't actually exist. Its recorded at 1,454 to the top of the antenna, 1,250 to the top of the "Roof" but its last actual working floors is right above the 86th floor observation deck which is only 1,050 ft up. Same with the Chrysler, its last actual floor is only 899ft up yet the building with its massive (but Gorgeous and probably the best spire on the planet) takes the height up to 1,046 feet up. Fun fact with the worlds current tallest Burj Khalifa, It lists a height of 2,717ft tall. Yet. Its tallest floor is only 1,918 ft up. So the top 800 ft is literally just a massive spire.

Its dumb and annoying for sure and I still view the US Bank tower as the tallest building in California since it is if we're going off roof height. But if changed now, all the architectural history books will have to be shredded....Imagine
And here lies the problem. Taking away spires would change everything beyond repair. I don’t think anyone wants to live in a world where the Chrysler Building is only 899 feet. At the same time, who’s to say that the spire isn’t part of the height of the building. The only option would be using the width or design of the spire to determine whether it counts. But that’d be far too subjective. Imagine if the Burj Khalifa was suddenly just 2,000 feet and the Shanghai tower was said to be taller. That would seem off too, because the Burj definitely looks taller if they’re put next to each other.

Honestly, if King Kong climbed the Wilshire Grand, he wouldn’t stop till he reached the very top which would be 1100 feet. So who’s to say that it isn’t part of the height of it’s connected to the building? I won’t lie though, I wasn’t happy when they said the Petronas towers and the WTC were taller than the Sears. But I kind of get it. Even if calling the WTC taller seems like a bit of a stretch.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive