HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's one diesel light rail system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Line_(NJ_Transit)

It has both a street-running section and separate sections that are shared with heavy trains. I have heard that this is not yet permitted by Transport Canada but I'm not sure if that is true.

The line was built based on ridership estimates of 5,500 passengers per day, which is the kind of target that I think could easily be hit along a route in Halifax. The cost recovery is only 7%, not including debt servicing. On the one hand this seems really bad but on the other it is an indication of how much more American cities are sometimes able to invest in their infrastructure. In Halifax there is often an insistence that infrastructure needs to nearly pay for itself, which does not make sense as a bar for projects that have significant public benefits. Most of the roads in Halifax have a 0% cost recovery in terms of pay per use, but they are still valuable and worth having.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure