I know it's cool to hate on the UDP, especially for those in the industry who have all, at one point, felt the sting of it's criticism. However, one thing I've learned is that, in the end, almost all of these professionals recognize that the advice is really provided by people who are experts in their field. These are people who desire not only pretty, unique, and tall buildings, but also ones that relate well to the public environment.
Sometimes ego is at play, sometimes the panelists hands are tied by city policy, quite often they catch things that some have just missed. One thing I have learned is that the minutes, while very well done by a professional, sometimes can't reflect the back and forth exchange of ideas that sometimes reveal far more than the conclusion does.
That said, I don't always understand their rational or agree with it