HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:08 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes. Lets spend a few moments and imagine just how well that would turn out.

Have you ever spent anytime on any reserve in Manitoba 3+ hours driving distance north from Winnipeg?

The time has long since passed for these communities to have any ability to take on real responsibility for the welfare of their citizens.

These communities are broken. Simply broken. No amount of self governance is going to change that going forward. If you don't believe me, perhaps you should take a bit of a road trip and see for yourself.
Not only does the exact same problem exist in Northern Ontario, it's literally worse here. What if they had the ability to develop their own education and health care systems 40 years ago? But that's hindsight. Doesn't count.

So how do we fix that? How do we take a population plagued by chronic depression, substance abuse and isolation and make them better? When Europeans had these problems they went to the new world, set up their own governments and gave away free farmland. Indigenous people don't have a new world with free farmland to go to and set up a new life like oppressed Ukrainians did 100 years ago.

You guys should write a 5,000 word essay on this for me so that I can have something to think about over the weekend. I'm going to bed now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan