HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:02 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Affordable Housing in Edmonton

Since this is a topic literally most people don't want to touch with a 10-foot pole I will. Edmonton has a growing shortage of "affordable housing" and few politicians seems interested in tackling it in any meaningful way including the premier who otherwise I have a great respect for. Personally I think we need to look at some cool radical solutions like...

1-Car-free developments. Ditching a parking space could save 50-60K/unit for starters... I say designate any area within 200m of a rapid transit/mass transit stop should be allowed to develop car-free projects with fewer hurdles...

2-Micro units... Basement suites, backyard, above garage suites... 300 sq ft or so seems to be the magical comfort level for most single North Americans since that's the standard-ish size for most hotel/motel rooms including those with kitchenette/dining areas...

3-Community Land Trust developments where land is either communally owned which in the future keeps prices down...

To me the status quo of building a few dozen units a year for lip service while many more people continue to work hard yet barely have a chance to keep a roof over their heads can't continue much longer without damaging long term societal consequences...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton