HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:46 PM
CalgaryAlex's Avatar
CalgaryAlex CalgaryAlex is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
They've tried this before. The multipurpose stadium era of baseball and football. On paper, the compromises don't look so bad, but in actuality, it just doesn't work - the US is littered with abandoned stadiums that used to host both baseball and football.

In Canada, this is personified by the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. It was designed for the Olympics and converted for baseball/football use and now sits empty because no professional sport wants to use it. I will concede there were other forces at play in Montreal, but the stadium didn't exactly give the ambiance of 'going to the game'. More like going to an empty concrete cavern.
I don't understand the comparison between football/rodeo/chucks and football/baseball. These are completely different combinations.

There is a similar area between the infield and a football field. Designed properly, you would still be able to view the chuckwagons going around the corners although the east straightaway would be blocked (it already is for the most part). The end zones would be the biggest challenge, but I'm sure there is a solution to be found between removable seating and a ground-level concourse.

I think it could work. I mostly like the idea of having facilities that don't sit around being wasted for the majority of the time they are depreciating in value. I also like the location and incredible amount of available space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.