HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 42 30.66%
Agree 33 24.09%
Undecided / Neutral 19 13.87%
Disagree 16 11.68%
Strongly Disagree 27 19.71%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I have a strong feeling that Parks Canada (and nor the environmentalists) would allow new train infrastructure within Banff National Park. Now that being said, while it wouldn't be for people moving, I wonder if the current rail line could be opened up once again for passenger service from Calgary to Lake Louise, with stops in Canmore and Banff? Perhaps something like to Olympics will make people think about that once again.
I'm not sure why Parks Canada wouldn't be on board with using the existing rail infrastructure to improve public transit and reduce vehicle usage in the park. There is a study in the works on the subject to answer questions regarding necessary upgrades:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ice-to-calgary

Even CP has signed on:
http://www.cochraneeagle.com/article...study-20160310

I think it's a great idea, provided there is some type of Park 'n Ride in Calgary. I'm not sure if it's because of the tourists or the city folk not used to highway driving, but Highway 1 between Calgary and Banff is chronically home to some of the worst driving habits in Canada. Being able to avoid that frustration is very welcome indeed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy