HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 8:03 PM

Unrelated to the Occulus opening right now (literally, just hit 3pm as I type this), I have a question about the West st. underpass which is already partially open.

It has two floors on the North side. The second level connects to an escalator at the West end, and provides access to 1 WTC lobby and the Observation Deck. The blueprints also show a number of stores filling in the spaces around them, running the length down to the PATH hall (which is currently blocked off). What I haven't seen on any blueprints is what happens at this Eastern end of the second level? Does it continue over the PATH hall and connect to the mezzanine level of the Occulus? Wouldn't the IRT box block that? So where does it go? I can't imagine it just dead-ends, however given some other design choices here (such as staircases to platforms that are are way too small to handle commuter loads) I wouldn't put it past them. I just don't see how any foot traffic would get up there and why any stores would want to open up there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture