HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 11:48 PM

"Judicial Precinct" is quite the misnomer. There is one judicial building (the SCC) which has been subject to various relocation plans (one the reasons listed on another thread why the CTC couldn't go to Lebreton was the NCC wanted to put the SCC there). The "Justice Building" is a parliamentary building. The LAC building has nothing to do with justice (and in fact bears a strong resemblance to the planned HQ of the Italian Fascist Party - sort of the opposite of justice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_della_Farnesina). There was briefly a plan to consolidate various federal courts there (all courts of limited jurisdiction that receive almost no attention from the media or public and many of the judges are ineligible for elevation to the SCC) but it was shelved by the Liberals and canned by the Tories.

I agree the planned monument is oversized (but I would say the same thing about the peacekeeping monument, the human rights monument and the firefighters monument - and I don't see anyone complaining about those) and a fairly obscure topic (but that would describe dozens of monuments around town) but the idea that this is sacred judicial ground that can't be touched is ludicrous.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues