HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I think the black middle class is leaving eastern cities, like NYC, and western cities, like LA and Bay Area. Most middle class blacks want to live in a nice, newer house in the suburbs, and housing costs in cities like Atlanta and now Charlotte for newer big houses are much, much less than NYC, LA, etc. I wonder if the blacks leaving LA and SF are moving to places like Las Vegas and Phoenix... I also guess you can also get a nice newer house that is priced within your budget closer to the city in a place like Atlanta, but for other cities you have to live in the exurbs 50 or so miles from the city to get a cheaper newer house. I think that is the case in Chicago when I lived there; the newer suburban houses were in the far western suburbs, like Bolingbrook or Elgin, and the old inner suburbs, like Harvey had smaller houses and appeared to be decaying (some of the older suburbs that held up like Skokie and Evanston had older but every expensive houses) . I know many blacks from Long Island that moved to Atlanta area because of the nice big houses that would be could get for $200K or so; such houses would run $400-500K on Long Island, plus the taxes would be double or triple.
You can actually see it in the stats:
LA Metro: -8% change in black population
Riverside/San Bernardino Metro (what some would call LA's "exurbs"): +32.6% increase in black population

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions