HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Far from being a perfect system but the best and only sustainable one.
Capitalism isn't sustainable, though. A system of unlimited economic progress in a world of finite natural resources is not sustainable and is bound to collapse. Within the next few years to decades, having passed peak oil, we'll see the collapse of our "progress" happening and becoming more evident as oil becomes scarcer and scarcer. What happens when we've cut down all of our forests, fished all the sea creatures from the oceans, depleted our freshwater reserves (as California and Nevada have done), and extracted all the oil from the ground?

I'm sure that other commenters are better equipped to debate the various economic systems, which I concede I am not qualified to discuss. But I think saying capitalism isn't perfect is an understatement and saying it's sustainable is inaccurate.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 26, 2014 at 2:12 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues