HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:59 PM

Herkimer - why is it one-way?

Every day, my list of "Hamilton's most absurd one-ways" gets shuffled around and another street lands on top.

Today: Herkimer.

Herkimer is functionally one travel lane for its entire length except the 2 blocks between Locke and Queen.

Between Queen and James, it is absurdly wide, but the parking and lane configurations only allow one travel lane.

This street could easily be two way for its entire length, and still accommodate the same amount of eastbound traffic. It would still have room for parking. And it would allow for a lane of westbound traffic too. Most of its length would even have room for bike lanes after all that.

Who benefits from it being one way? Residents? Commuters? Pedestrians? Cyclists? Terry Whitehead? If anyone can come up with a single road user who benefits from it, I'd be interested to hear that perspective because I can't think of anyone.

Instead of putting random pedestrian crossings along its length, why not just repaint the damned thing. It only has two stoplights along its entire length (not counting the pedestrian signal), and only ONE of those would need a new east-facing light.

Next up: John south of Burlington, the 3 blocks of King WIlliam that prevent it from being a viable cycling alternative to king, catharine, mary, bay, the one block of young west of victoria.... UGHHHHHHHHHQHAWHAWEKJDHAKFSJHSDKLjfhLSKDJf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure