HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 2:31 PM
Honored Member

Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia - Pros and Cons

I think the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia (HTNS) is too focused on preventing new development in Halifax and saving views from the Citadel than saving old buildings. I like the mix of old and new buildings in Halifax and I am in favour of heritage preservation however I think that it has to be done through a joint venture of developers and heritage advocates instead of through constant fighting.

Here is the stated mandate of the HTNS - http://www.htns.ca/about.html. At this moment, I can't think of anything good to say about the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia so here is another example of their failure as a Heritage advocate.

Historic signal station to be demolished

CTV Atlantic
Published Monday, June 30, 2014 7:14PM ADT
Last Updated Monday, June 30, 2014 7:50PM ADT

After 10 years of trying to save the structure, the plug has been pulled on the Commercial Cable Station in Hazel Hill, Nova Scotia.

It was built in 1888 and for more than 70 years, it relayed all telegraph messages between North America and Europe, including news of the Titanic sinking.

source and full story: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/historic-...#ixzz36E6sWWla

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues