Posted May 24, 2014, 4:27 PM
|
 |
Vote for me in 2019!
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
|
|
If they are as legit and doable as the video suggests, this is an amazing concept. I too could see Mayor Becker getting on board with this, as you mentioned as a pilot program. 1300 S between State and I-15 is in need of a major rebuild, maybe they choose a section at a time and try it. While the attendance at Smith Ballpark isn't huge, it would be a very effective way to not only test them, but to promote them.
The possibilities are endless, they could be hooked into electric car charging stations. UTA could install them in their Trax Park and Ride lots, and funnel the energy into Trax itself. UTA could also do a pilot program and install them in the bus only lanes at the stations to start.
I wonder how long the initial payback takes after the initial cost of installation?
The city should require any new parking garages (not that I'm encouraging new parking garages), to have the top level, if exposed, solar panels. Imagine the energy that would be produced on weekends especially.
|