Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau
Isn't it the same technology as the SkyTrain in Vancouver?
|
No, but they're related. The Scarborough RT was the first order of the ICTS technology which was developed by the Ontario government.
The original ICTS technology was intended to be a cheap (both in capital and operations) form of rapid transit that was affordable enough for massive networks of it to be built across Toronto's suburbs. Plans were for the entire GO Train network to be essentially converted to this technology plus a bunch of brand new suburban lines as well. Interestingly enough, I once read in passing that the MTO planned to build an ICTS network in Ottawa as well--although I have no clue what such plans were (I'd love to find out!)
The idea died when it was discovered that it really wasn't much cheaper than building a full-fledged subway.
So the government sold it off (I think to Bombardier) where it was retooled into the SkyTrain technology. That retooling was enough to destroy compatibility--the Scarborough RT vehicles are not compatible with any other rapid transit line anywhere in the world.