Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes
I wouldn't really say that the Halifax Shopping Centre is downtown, but I wouldn't say its in the Subburbs either. To me it's it the city proper, while Bayers Lake, Dartmouth Commons, MicMac Mall are in the Suburbs.
|
HSC is in a semi-suburban area that was at the end of the streetcar network. Simpsons/Sears went up there in the 1910's or 20's and eventually grew to be West End Mall. The Bay was built there in the 60's or so.
My main point with my earlier posts I guess is that I don't see why it's a big deal that the mall is a 10 minute bus ride away instead of right downtown. It might have even been a good thing in terms of preserving heritage buildings. If the alternative were to have a bunch of shiny Apple store equivalents in heritage buildings on Barrington (they almost opened on SGR) that would be great, but that's not how it has played out in any small city in Canada. Most of the downtown malls in smaller cities are dominated by bland mid-range chains and don't seem to produce a lot of vitality is the older, more interesting mixed commercial neighbourhoods nearby.
Quote:
|
For Atlantic Canada tho, I really quite like downtown Charlottetown! It has shopping, bars, public and private sector employees, schools and people live there. For a city of Charlottetown's size, its quite impressive.
|
I agree, Charlottetown is great.