HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:19 PM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
I like the Québec English accent's quirks like the differentiation between 'Merry' and 'Marry' (I don't know of any other accent that does that) and the use of some words in a French way (Close the lights; The commerces on Princiaple; Me I like that when you cook).


Another funny thing is that I find that, as I learn more languages, little grammatical and lexical ticks get added to my English and French:

- From German, I get the sentence-ending interrogative 'oder?' which roughly translates to '...or is it something else?'; So I'll often catch myself saying things like 'Do you want coffee, or?'

- From Swedish, I get the overuse of the greeting 'Hej' [Heïï] and the word 'Jo' [yoo], which is a way of saying yes to a negative affirmation like 'You didn't cut the lawn. Yoo, I did'.

- From Japanese, I get そう [Sôôh], which roughly translate to 'aha' or 'is that so?'


I try to keep these little artefacts to a minimum, since they aren't always understood by the people with whom I'm speaking, but sometimes it can be surprisingly hard, especially when there isn't a good translation (like in the case of 'oder?' and 'jo').
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.