HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:02 PM
we built this city

I have to say this again, but a major reason for the widening help public transportation. The buses currently don't operate as fast (i.e. traffic is so heavy they barely move and obstruct other traffic as well, trapping people behind them). Active transportation could be built into this also. Don't buy into the blanket statements of Watts and company. This was planned for and now can be approached in a modern fashion with dedicated bus lanes and even bike lanes if done properly (i.e. inside of the sidewalk). Painting bike lanes is not appropriate any time, ever.

In terms of walkability, I usually walk behind... not on Bayers Rd. I bet alot of you anti-widening people have never even been in the pubs before... there could be bike paths installed. Unfortunately there are social problems back behind there and many of you would feel uncomfortable walking through there at night.

This is not as a big deal as the opponents are making it out to be. In fact, for the city to function like a modern european city... its required. This ain't downtown and flows need to be sorted.

If you think there won't be some sort of "car" in the future... you are crazy. Even in the places with the availability of great public transportation, cars are owned by people. I'm not saying they have to be powered by oil.

Given that Halifax's population continues to grow, this is an important piece of infrastructure going forward.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure