HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:18 AM
BANNED

History of Calgary

A couple months ago I learned that Calgary got itself an official Historian Laureate, Harry Sanders. More recently I learned of the new Historian Laureate's blog. I've always enjoyed the prior CBC Radio segment where Mr. Sanders, known to many as Harry the Historian, shared tid-bits of Calgary's history, often making connections that were obscure but ended up being important to how things have since panned out.

Historian Laureate's official blog:
calgaryhistorian.blogspot.ca/
Harry the Historian's personal (and most educational) twitter feed:
twitter.com/harry_historian

His most recent post on the blog is about the lot currently occupied by Holt Renfrew. I had no idea about the William Aberhart, Ernest Manning and Preston Manning connection!

Also interesting was his inaugural post, which teases with a mention of the original UCalgary having opened 100 years ago this month, in October of 1912. I had no idea, but am eagerly waiting to hear more in a forthcoming post.

Anyway - if others have tid-bits about the history of Calgary, please do share. Don't think the thread should be limited to the Historian Laureate, but Harry is certainly a great place to start!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy