HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:23 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
We have level crossings for trains in this city??

I'm only half-kidding, too. In my 9 years here I think I've been stuck waiting for a train once, and that was off 9th Ave at the one crossing that isn't an underpass. For a city that was (is?) a rail hub, I'm astounded at how few trains I actually see - and how I virtually never get stuck because of them.

Contrast this to other Canadian rail centres where it's not uncommon to be stuck waiting for a train once a week.
Crossings other than sidings (and ignoring roads with very light traffic)

CP Mainline W-E:
32nd Ave NW (in Bowness)
11th St SW (downtown)
8th St SE (inglewood)
Glenmore Trail SE
84th Street SE (in Shepard)

32nd Ave in Bowness isn't really a problem I suspect, if there was ever a backup, you can drive to Bowness Road.

11th St will eventually get an underpass, I suspect.

8th Street likely will never get anything, it would be too complicated to build anything and cost too much for the value. However, a potential high speed train line may require full grade separation, in which case, it wouldn't be the city paying for it.

Glenmore Trail will be raised over the line in the next decade or so.

84th Street won't be a problem once Stoney Trail opens. Traffic will be low. Someday, with development growth, may get an overpass, but that's decades away.

CP Mainline N - Downtown:
50 Ave NE
41st Ave NE
17th Ave SE
15th St SE

None of these will ever have anything done, and are not an issue, except for if a high speed line goes in and requires full grade separation. In that case, it won't be the city paying for grade separations. A couple of those may just be blocked off in that case.

CP Mainline Downtown - S:
11th St SE
Dartmouth Rd/Highfield Rd/26th Ave Traffic Circle
39th Ave SE
42nd Ave SE
50th Ave SE
58th Ave SE
61st Ave SE

Heritage Dr SW
James Kckevitt Rd SW
162nd Ave SW
Shawville Gate SW

I don't think there's enough traffic on this line to make any of these high priority. Overpasses will happen with LRT track overpasses. 39th Ave crossing may cease to exist if and when 39th Ave LRT station blocks off the road. Heritage Drive will get an overpass when Heritage/Macleod Trail interchange goes in.

CN Mainline:
84th Street NE
68th Street SE
17th Ave SE
52nd Street SE
36th Street SE
Peigan Trail SE
50th Ave SE
Barlow Trail SE

The new CN intermodal yard by Balzac essentially turns all of this into a low traffic line. The city has thought about building an underpass under the Barlow crossing in the past, but we are glad we didn't spend that money now.

CN line along 50th Ave:
52nd Street SE
84th Street SE

Very low traffic on this line. However, a month or two ago, I did actually come up to a train that was crossing 84th Street on this line. It was 2 cars long.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure