HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum  • Los Angeles Highrise Developments Map


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 7:53 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Plus it is further east than any true high-rise so it's not filling in space that was likely to ever be very tall.
Two California Plaza and Gas Company Tower are just as far east on the downtown grid, and if you look at true north, Library Tower and every tower on Bunker Hill are further east than this site. But even on the perceived grid, this site is within the eastern visual plane of highrises. It just continues the plane established by 2 Cal Plaza, Gas Company and tower on 6th and Olive further south. Or rather it would have if the original proposal survived the economic crash.

I myself am torn on the revised proposal. On one hand I'm thrilled that something is moving forward with decent density (though I think it can be higher density), and how this fills in one of the missing links between 7th Street and South Park (Grand between Olympic & 11th is the other gross offender).

On the other hand, I'm mildly disappointed to lose height and a potential skyline changer (though this can admittedly be achieved on adjacent parcels down the road). I'm far more concerned about design, though. A 7-story building will be a Type III wood frame over concrete base (2 story) building, which downtown doesn't have a very good record of. I remain cautiously optimistic, though, as Sonni Astani's previous low-rise buildings (Vero and the low rise at Concerto), are somewhat better than other buildings we seen. But one has to take into account that those buildings were planned and built at the height of the residential boom, when prices were going up, up, up; so they designed with more expensive materials. I'm hoping that design attitude prevails here, and that we get something decent, that avoids the stucco mess we've been in for far too long.

Last edited by colemonkee; Dec 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM.
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.