HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:45 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
would just start buying up land east of I-35 next to the UT campus if they really want to serve the community and UT.
That'd be extremely difficult. Most of the area directly across 35 from campus are homes. Not only would they run into the same problems that I mentioned above regarding the industrial land on the east side (politically and socioeconomically sensitive community already subject to enough gentrification pressures), but they'd actually be taking away their homes outright instead of pressuring them out through land value increases. Not only that, but the same problems would exist with that area that exist with Highland: it is in close proximity to too many other hospitals.

They already own the Brackenridge tract, while buying land through eminent domain (which is the method to be used in that area) is both extremely politically inept and financially stupid (given that they'd be spending more money than if they developed the Brackenridge tract as the medical school).

Edit:

You know... I just REALLY like the Brackenridge tract for this. It is the ONLY legitimate option in this city for dense development where none currently exists. The Domain/North Burnet is nice... That area has potential in the long run (50+ years), but it will never have the level of density that we'd like. Same thing for Mueller. Same thing for East Riverside. The Domain will end up like the Galleria or Buckhead, but without skyscrapers while Mueller and East Riverside could end up like less cowboy-hipster-chic versions of SoCo.

Brackenridge, on the other hand, is bounded by established neighborhoods (and the river) that will work as containers to the density, thereby making the density grow with time as it is forced to turn back in on itself. I.E. An actual urban environment instead of a complete sham faux urban development like Mueller. Brackenridge, for me, is Austin's opportunity to answer Portland's South Waterfront (although probably better, which is a scary thought for me).

Now we just have to find our legitimate answer to the Pearl District. Long run, I see things like the Intramural Fields, Hancock Shopping Center, and - gosh you'll all hate me for this - the area bounded by Cesar Chavez, Lamar, and the rail tracks where the Animal Control center, among other things, is as the last prime large scale redevelopment opportunities where substantial new density can be located adjacent to our existing nodes of density.

Highland Mall, though a good opportunity as a transit oriented development, is too far out to truly be considered an expansion on downtown's existing density. So, too, are the city's prime targets for development (Mueller, Domain/North Burnet, and East Riverside).

Last edited by wwmiv; Oct 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin