HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I remember when the building on the corner of Quinpool across from the Atlantica hotel had a parking garage and gas station on the ground floor, I believe it has now been converted to offices. I also remember on the other side of the same building there was a subway, I tried using the washroom in there once and I remember the conditions where just plain horrible.
LOL... I went to St Pats High in the early 70s and that was a Gulf station complete with mechanical shop directly across from the school side entrance (on Parker St) and the pay parkade above. I bought gas there a few times. After they closed the mechanical shop the Pop Shoppe went in there. Seemed an odd location. Now I guess the parkade is for the use of the offices in the tower. If memory serves, the tower used to have a large Gulf sign on the top. I presume they had some offices there.

As for that Subway location, that spot was the kiss of death for anything that went in there. The Subway actually lasted longer than most. I would take the bus home from school and wait at the stop on Robie across from that location. That stop originally had one of Metro Transit's plastic purple "space bubble" shelters that eventually had all the plexiglass windows busted out of it by juvenile delinquents before it was replaced. Originally the Subway location was the Monterey Lounge which had a very (now retro) cool neon sign that included a cigarette in an odd-looking ashtray. How times change. I think at some point it became a short-lived restaurant before the Subway went in. Don't recall what is there today.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues