Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil
100% right LAofAnaheim! But this is really a kind of Catch22 that's plagued LA for at least 30 years (if not more so). People rely, predominantly, on cars to get around in LA. People will not tend to buy/visit places where they cannot park easily. Therefore most places, to be viable, would build large parking garages anyway (even without the ordinances I think). So that slows construction because it increases cost which makes it almost impossible to have an economically viable middle income highrise just about anywhere in LA. I really don't think this situation will change for at least another 15-20 years while we improve transit availability and citizens come to see that there are safe, efficient alternatives to cars for getting around the city (and not just the touristy parts). If the 30/10 plan goes through this could happen much much faster.
|
Except we're talking about Downtown here. Downtown is the
one neighborhood in Los Angeles where the transit is very good. So while I can understand the need for parking garages around activity centers in the Westside, I don't think they're needed Downtown. Downtown's competitive advantage over other neighborhoods (besides good transit) is its walkability. There's solid walls of shops and restaurants, or at least vacant storefronts that have the potential to be shops and restaurants. Vacant lots also represent potential retail...unless garages are built on them, that is. Every garage that is built Downtown works against Downtown's potential.
Summary: Downtown garages are not only unnecessary, but harmful to Downtown's future.