Quote:
Originally Posted by socialisthorde
One other downside is that with an expected student body of 1100, our dismal public transportation system, and pedophiles lurking around every corner (this one is facetious) only a small proportion will be walking. In my kid's school, people drive their kids if they live more than three blocks. I can imagine this school will draw from many miles.
More cars
Mega malls, mega community centres, mega schools, if I were a conspiracy theorist, I would have to suspect the automakers have a hand in our civic design.
|
The school will primarily serve Willowgrove, which will have 8000 residents. All the existing neighborhoods in the area already have schools, so the only ones traveling many miles will be from the new Evergreen neighborhood until their school is built. Most of the kids attending will be a short walk away.
In fact, there is a linear park with a walking path running all the way through Willowgrove. I would bet the large majority of residents will be within a 5 min walk of this path, and could walk to the school inside 20 min. This probably won't stop people from driving their kids, but you can't blame laziness on neighborhood design.