HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd imagine you and LeCorbusier would have been pretty good friends, he wanted to tear down all of Paris and "rebuild" it with endless highrise apartment blocks.

I doubt anyone here would say the ToA is the classiest-looking thing in the world, but to say it is just a restaurant is akin to saying that the Alamo is just an old church. The tower symbolizes a time in the city's past when the world's eyes were trained on San Antonio, when for once in the history of this history-obsessed place there was no foot dragging or hand wringing about preservation or scale; they simply went out and built something modern (for the time) and iconic, and did so in record time. If you're unfamiliar with this history (hint: there's a reason its called "Hemisfair tower") I'd suggest boning up on it before you go around trying to tear stuff down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_World%27s_Fair

Also, there's nothing wrong with the Milam building. Go to any city in the country and you'll find similar buildings mixed in amongst the modern glass towers.

Welcome to the forum.
Of course I know the history, but that does not mean I like it or want it to remain, but again, that is my point. All we are talking about here is "it was a time, it was... it made". Let’s make new history...not prevent construction history in SA from happening because of this one restaurant, which it has been proven to do and seems to be doing so now. Look at the same that happened with the grand Hyatt.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio