HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture


Mid-Continental Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 7:45 PM
UglymanCometh UglymanCometh is offline
loving that Gary skyline
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
As someone who is a real big 60’s and 70’s international box fan, this particular example of that architecture never made my A-list. The location in relation to the building, I’ve always found, is awkward at best, therefore takes away from the buildings character and automatically portrays it has an imposing eyesore.

With that said (and again, this is coming from someone who is tremendously against giving international boxes an exterior facelift) I’ve always felt that this building could use one, given its location. The location is simply too ‘nice’ for a building that should be buried in the skyline.

Getting to the point, I feel that this option the developers are taking is not the right one, or practical one at that. This is a textbook example of the developer worrying more about the wallet rather than the appearance of their property. Sadly for the city of Chicago this shameful attempt has backfired into something even worse.

Now obviously there is no going back on this one, so I would vouch for the entire façade to get a uniformed look, rather than this ‘mix and match’ concept they have going. That sentiment of course is in a perfect world.
My sentiments EXACTLY. I've never been a big fan of the building, even though I LOVE international/Miesian-inpsired boxes... an entire façade upgrade would do wonders for this project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.