Quote:
|
Does replacing buses with rail on Albert/Slater satisfy their requirements? If not, there is no point to considering rail - most advantages are nulled.
|
As I said, the Albert/Slater Coalition wants transit off 'their' street. I have always thought this was unrealistic and not in the best interests of our transit system, even if we built a tunnel, whether for trains, buses or both. As our current plan clearly demonstrates, this is not going to happen any time soon, so why didn't we recognize this all along, and develop a plan that allows Albert and Slater to remain a transit corridor? I have mentioned before that Calgary's planned downtown tunnel will not take all transit off of 7th Avenue. The purpose of Calgary's tunnel is to expand downtown transit capacity substantially and that is accomplished by having 2 transit corridors, and not redirecting all transit into the tunnel.