HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:03 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
I stopped by the Open house at the VPL and I wasn't impress when one the speaker told us that the buildings to be added at the back of the LANDING Complex was aimed at being solely parking space and that the two forefront mid-rise office also were to have a large podium but underneath more parking spaces otherwise it would not meet the building cost as so he stated!
I asked about the WhiteCap Stadium that was accepted by public consultation to be built on top of the Seabus terminal and they stated it wasn't feasible so they told me that VPA has being in talks to have the stadium built on the adjacent parking lot now occupied by Heliport terminal or even further east side by side to Crab park.
A few people were also upset that they even didn't put forward space for bicycles and electric car stalls.
maybe be I am wrong but the speaker who talked to us, truly didn't make this venture very appealing, it all suggested more vehicles in this hub, when asked about a future extension EAST for the Skytrain, literary a resounding NO.
As for the build of Offices, their suggestion of mid-rise didn't add up, I suggested 800 meter and bulldozed the Vancouver sun and Sear tower and built a more suitable building that would stands a an Icon for the city, after all the Shangri-La has stamped our future as unique and awesome why not proceed in that manner.
I gather that by the end of the open house , hopefully they will listen to the suggestions and make some amendment, so far it is not green as environmentally as it ought a be, it is more green with the dollars in mind and how much money can they make out of this stagnant plot of land.
Overall, few tweak here and there and they could make it more pedestrians friendly have a defined streetcar line in place ( because that was not even in the agenda )
and have plan to extend Skytrain to the north shore by 2020 isn't unreasonable n my views.
MYO
cheers
There will be no SkyTrain by 2020 and there will be no city worker can tell you anything about SkyTrain to the northshore. I don't think there is a need YET for SkyTrain. SeaBus is adequete and should be alright for at least another 15 years; especially when they purchased a new SeaBus. By 2020 however, I think we should study this possibility of extending SkyTrain network to Gastown, then to Northshore. I'm actually doing a research on transportation around the Metro and planning for Transport 2040.

I'm not excited about the parking thing either. But the plan did include bike storage although that part was a little sketchy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.