HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 7:21 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,997
Dartmouth is a good example of how much of a difference transportation infrastructure can make.

It is interesting just how packed some of those North End blocks were. The Spring Garden Road area is unrecognizable in those pictures. Originally it looks like there were two buildings West of the TUNS building. I think one was a mansion built in the 1700s. It was probably almost as nice as Government House. I suspect the other was a small brick university or hospital building but I don't know for sure. It is kind of unfortunate that these were torn down and the lot was left empty for so long.

It's also interesting to see the Cornwallis Park area before the hotel was built. Originally the park itself was built up. The train station pre-dates the hotel but I don't know if it was a different building or not. I don't remember the exact year the rail cut was built but this station and the North End station may have both been operating for a few years before the explosion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.