HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:40 AM
World Machine

[QUOTE=honte;3141169^^ Uh no, not Rome, I mean from a design sense. The East Coast cities were largely in European mode, and Chicago was where most of the design started that created truly American styles. Most every critic and historian who ever studied American architecture history (except for a few who, surprise, are usually in New York) agrees with this.[/QUOTE]

What examples of American architecture do you mean? Would you consider the ESB, Chrysler, Lever House, Seagram, etc.. un-American architecture. The Lever House and the Seagram building (which hail from New York) set the tone for an architectural style that has spread all over the world, and immensly in the United States.

Now if you mean lowrise buildings, I see what you are saying. Many costal city's early buildings were influenced by European architecture, while mid-western cities (as the were founded) established their own style of building (American if you will architecture). As time went on though highrises and project housing (very American) grew much in New York and the concept spread throughout the nation.

Sidebar question: Is it true that Chicago got rid of its project housing?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture