HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:05 PM
Chicago Shawn's Avatar
Chicago Shawn Chicago Shawn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Am I the only one marginally pleased by hearing of this development? The stretch of Franklin along the L tracks is a disgraceful several blocks of ugly surface lots that need to be developed ASAP. The loud L necessitates that buildings right next to it will be hulking concrete structures to provide at least some noise insulation for residents. A parking podium in this location is justified for this reason, near street level is a lousy place for a housing unit. It fills in one more lot, and provides a couple hundred new residents to an area that needs more consistent density for cohesiveness. This is of an appropriate scale and design for its location, in my opinion.
Yeah, but this thing is 🞵🞵🞵🞵 ugly like all of JDL's projects. See Maple tower for another lovely JDL masterpiece. I always for increased density, especially along the L tracks, but we do not need ugly 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like this constructed and seen by thousands of passing commuters every day. Silver Tower and even the CMK project at Ontario and Franklin do a much better job with the parking podium than this. The only saving grace I give this project is that it replaces a surface lot, and I am hopping for some cheaper middle-market units, but then again knowing typical JDL I am sure these units won't be that cheap.



OH, and I figure some forumers would like to know the old Brach's candy plant is now being prepped for demolition. It has two very large 11 story concrete loft buildings and an office building with some very nice terra-cotta detailing that I believe was designed by Alfred Aschuluer. The office building is Orange rated. SO get out to Lake and Cicero with your cameras if you want to capture the plant before the structure starts coming down. And what makes this burn even worse, I believe the plant is being replaced with a suburban style trucking logistics center. UGH.
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.